Massage therapy is the manipulation of muscles and connective tissue to improve blood circulation, relaxation, and function of the body. Massage is an instructive way of relieving aches and pains as well as fatigue, nervous tension, and stress. Massage therapists have been around for centuries, and now they have become a very popular and safe method of relief. Nowadays, massage is available virtually anywhere including a massage parlor, spas, clinics, health clubs, dentist offices, airports, and resorts. They offer numerous benefits such as stretching of muscle tissue, loosening of scar tissue, and increased blood circulation.
Massage therapists perform safe and relaxing massage. Therefore, book yourself to a therapeutic massage whenever you feel pain or stressed out. Massage therapists concentrate on certain areas where tension might be accumulating. They focus on their strokes, and these massages feature harder and longer strokes. These types of strokes help in the kneading of the muscles, realigning, and stimulating their growth.
HOW DOES THE MASSAGE THERAPY WORK?
Providing a massage helps to relax the body by improving mobility in varieties of ways and relieving stress from muscles. Therapists usually employ one form of massage, but often times, they mix techniques too. Combining techniques helps relieve more ailments and symptoms from patients because each technique has a different objective in helping a person.
There are many kinds of massage therapy and this article will highlight ten of the most popular ones. They are:
- Shiatsu: Shiatsu is predominantly used in Japan. It is a form of massage that uses finger pressure (in a rhythmic sequence) on acupressure points that are all over the body. The pressure is gently but firmly applied and the pressure is held for about seven seconds.
- Reflexology: Otherwise known as foot massage, is a form of massage which mainly concentrates on massaging certain points on the foot. It is known that every point on the foot connects to a certain internal organ. Therefore, massaging that part of the foot will affect the connecting internal organ. This massage is good for people who spend most of the time standing.
- Swedish Massage Therapy: Also known as simple massage therapy, it is the most common and popular kind of massage in the United States. The massage is basically meant for relaxation!
- Back Massage: Back massage is mainly focused on the muscles of the neck and back to relieve pains and aches of the neck and the back.
- Deep Tissue Massage: This massage focuses on the deeper layers of the muscles and the connective tissues. Slower strokes and friction methods are basically applied across the grain of the muscle. This type of massage is primarily used for recovery from postural problems, tight muscles, injuries, and repetitive strain. Most people tend to feel a kind of soreness each time they undergo deep tissue massage.
Other forms of massage include:
- Sport Massage
- Aromatherapy Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Thai Massage
- Pregnancy Massage
BENEFITS OF MASSAGE THERAPY OFFERED BY LAS CRUCES REHABILITATION
For thousands of years, therapeutic massage has proven to be a very effective method for treating many ailments and it will continue to be used for many years to come. Here are some benefits of massage therapy:
- Massage will help relieve or prevent spasms, stress, and muscle cramps. It is a safe way to eliminate aching pains and bodily discomfort. The nervous system can be stimulated depending on the type of massage applied. When applied, massage stimulates the nerve ending s in the muscle tissues and skin.
- Stimulating the nervous system helps to relax the whole body. Massage is known to be safe and relaxing; hence, there is no limit to how many times you can subject yourself to such treatments. As you move from one session to another, you will find that your body becomes more and more relaxed and you begin to have greater range of motion.
- A massage therapy study indicated that administering massage to children suffering from asthma helped to improve air flow and pulmonary functions; thus, reducing stress and anxiety.
- An increase in blood flow leads to an increase in the blood supply that is essential for the muscles and other vital organs. Massage also pushes blood in the vein and lymph toward the heart, subsequently easing the strain on the heart.
- It improves the blood-production process, resulting in the increased production of the white and red blood cells.
MASSAGE THERAPY AND PHYSICAL THERAPY WORKING TOGETHER AT LAS CRUCES REHABILITATION AND HOME CARE
Physical therapy deals with improving the structural and muscular support of the tendons and tissues. The aim of a physical therapist is to restore the activity of the muscle without affecting the normal healing process. Physical therapy reflects more on a medical model. Regardless if you have an injury or illness, a physical therapist will carry out a complete evaluation which includes reviewing the status of skeletal, pulmonary, muscular, cardiovascular, lymphatic, and neurological systems as well as any other health concerns. With your help, the physical therapist will then determine what needs to be done to improve your health.
A physical therapist’s scope of practice is far greater than a massage therapist. The massage therapist may make diagnoses with the scope that is quite different from a medical doctor. The physical therapist, on the other hand, put together complex treatment plans. Also, the physical therapist may perform medical massage yet, will still have the skills and expertise to do many things that are outside a massage therapists’ scope. For example, a physical therapist can assess the physical function of a patient who has had a stroke or other serious health-related issues. A physical therapist can also help you to focus on some (if not most) of your personal goal. He helps you learn what aspects of your health you should focus on.
If you need a massage therapist in Las Cruces, don’t settle for just any rehabilitation center — you have a choice. Contact Las Cruces Comprehensive Rehab Today.